On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of one of the most important events in German history, the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9th November, we encourage our students to engage with this subject.
Every week in September and October, we will publish a photograph from the post-World War II era (both online and in the school), with questions and notes for students to think about and discuss. On Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th November, there will be a film viewing and quiz based on the pictures and questions. All students are encouraged to take part and be in for a chance to win a fantastic prize for their class.
Click here to find out what other projects are run by the school in commemoration of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Week 6 (14/10/19)
Picture for Week 6
Questions for Week 6
- Who was Jutta Gallus and why did she have to fight to see her daughters?
- Why was there forced adoption of children in the GDR?
- What were the most commonly used children’s names in the GDR?
- Which children’s TV personality has survived to this day?
- What is a Datsche?
- What does the abbreviation FDJ stand for?
- What was the GDR’s counter model to religious Confirmation?
- Who was allowed to sit the Abitur (Leaving Cert) in the GDR?