On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of one of the most important events in German history, the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9th November, we encourage our students to engage with this subject.
Every week in September and October, we will publish a photograph from the post-World War II era (both online and in the school), with questions and notes for students to think about and discuss. On Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th November, there will be a film viewing and quiz based on the pictures and questions. All students are encouraged to take part and be in for a chance to win a fantastic prize for their class.
Click here to find out what other projects are run by the school in commemoration of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Week 7 (21/10/19)
Pictures for Week 7
Questions for Week 7:
- Why were people trying to flee the GDR?
- What were the ways in which people tried to escape? Look at the pictures to answer this question.
- What is meant by Häftlingsfreikauf (prisoner ransom)?
- What role did the Glienicker Brücke play?
- Who is Wolf Biermann and how did he leave the GDR?
- As a West German, how was one able to visit the East?