On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of one of the most important events in German history, the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9th November, we encourage our students to engage with this subject.
Every week in September and October, we will publish a photograph from the post-World War II era (both online and in the school), with questions and notes for students to think about and discuss. On Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th November, there will be a film viewing and quiz based on the pictures and questions. All students are encouraged to take part and be in for a chance to win a fantastic prize for their class.
Click here to find out what other projects are run by the school in commemoration of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Week 8 (28/10/19)
Picture for Week 8
Questions for Week 8
- Why is the fall of the Berlin Wall referred to as a peaceful revolution?
- Which of the slogans of the 1989 demonstrators is being used again nowadays but in a very different context?
- Why did a misunderstanding lead to the fall of the Berlin Wall?
- What role did Michail Gorbatschow play?
- Why is the 9th November called the Schicksalstag (Day of Destiny) of the Germans?