St. Kilian’s Deutsche Schule had its beginning in 1952 in the establishment of language courses for German boys and girls who were guests with Irish families as part of the programme run by the “Save the German Children Society”. These children had already begun to lose their German language.
In 1954 the School was named St. Kilian’s and three years later it was relocated to a site on the Stillorgan Road in Dublin. This site could also accommodate a Kindergarten.
Between 1959 and 1964 the school expanded and grew to incorporate the beginnings of a new secondary school. The German Government formalised its support with the allocation of a delegated teacher. By now the school had 6 classes and 60 pupils.
Between 1961 and 2011 the school had a delegated Headmaster from Germany and a Deputy Principal supported by the Department of Education in Ireland.
In 1974 the school moved to its current campus on Roebuck Road, the site had been purchased by the German Government. This move also facilitated the beginning of the secondary school as we now know it.
The school was soon recognised by the Irish Department of Education and in the academic year 1976-1977 it was given a roll number. Two years later the first group of St.Kilian’s students sat the Leaving Certificate.
The next milestone was the introduction of the Transition Year programme which got the green light from the Department of Education in the 1986/87 school year.
The introduction of the Sprachdiplom Exams in 1989 was a significant step in establishing the higher pedagogical benchmark for the teaching and learning of German in the school. The Sprachdiplom course and exams continue to define the proficiency standards expected of the students learning German.
In 1992 St. Kilian’s celebrated its 40th anniversary.
As the school continued to grow there was a demand for more classrooms. During the school year 1993/94 the Board of Management started an initiative to raise funds to build an extension of 4 extra classrooms. This extension was completed at the start of the following school year. In 2001/2002 a further extension adding 9 extra classrooms was completed and was officially opened by the then President Mary McAleese on the occasion of the school’s 50th anniversary.
In 2001/2002 The Lyceé Francais d’Irland (LFI) relocated to temporary buildings on the campus. This was the first step towards the official cooperation between the two schools.
In 2005 an agreement was entered into with LFI to amalgamate the junior cycle classes of St Kilian’s and the LFI to create the Eurocampus and prepare students towards the common goal of the Junior Certificate.
In 2006 Mary Hanafin signed off on the new Bilingual Leaving Certificate course combining German Language, Literature and European History.
In 2009 a new building to house the LFI and Eurocampus classes was officially opened.
In 2012 the first non German Principal was appointed. The German Government continues to support 3 seconded teachers and through the network for German schools abroad it continues to fund the teaching and learning of German in the secondary and primary schools.