For all of our students who have little or no opportunity to speak/hear German during the current school closure, we have compiled a list of resources to help continue to promote the language at home, in addition to the curriculum-based school work provided by their German teachers.
Resources from the Goethe Institute:
- „Kinderuniversität“ (“Children’s University”) offers lectures and experiments for children aged 8-11.
- Digital library “Onleihe”
- Change from amazon.co.uk to amazon.de to see the entire range of German books, e-books etc. (Kindle-App to access e-books can be downloaded to most devices, not just to a Kindle/e-reader.)
- Audible currently offers free audio stories. The German selection is available here.
Die Sendung mit der Maus
Popular children’s programme on German TV station WDR.
Even if you use the Irish version of Netflix, you can change the language on many of the films and series to German. Select a film/series, click on Audio/Subtitles and scroll down to German.
ZDF (German TV channel)
- ZDFtivi: Programmes for children and teenagers and a virtual classroom for various age groups.
- Kids’ news
- The ZDF also has an app called ZDF Mediathek to access its contents.
ARD (TV channel)
Great German school resource for numerous subjects.