What is the Sek-I Stream?
- An additional course for suitable students at St. Kilian’s German School
- Lessons at Gymnasium level through German in selected subjects
- Preparation for the Irish Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate examinations and a German leaving qualification (Realschule) or the qualification required in order to study in the upper secondary school classes (years 11 and 12) in a German Gymnasium
Who can take part?
- Suitable students with German as a foreign language or as their mother tongue who are able to meet more challenging demands, have the ability to develop higher order thinking and who are willing to work hard and independently.
- Requirement for students with German as a foreign language: good grades in German (see Eligibility Guidelines)
- Requirements for students with German as their mother tongue and students studying German as a foreign language: suitability for the educational course of the Gymnasium (see Eligibility Guidelines)
- Students must meet the requirements of the Orientation Phase in classes 5 and 6.
- Students must meet the requirements of the Versetzungsordnung (regulations governing the passing or failing of a class) in years 7–10 (see Eligibility Guidelines)
How is the Sek-I Stream organised?
- Increased number of German lessons and subject teaching through German in selected subjects:
- Mathematics and Physics lessons through German and English
- History, Biology and Chemistry lessons through German
- No lessons in the timetabled English language Science curriculum in years 7-9
- Intensive support for and supervision of the participating students
- No Sprachdiplom I exam in year 9
- Sprachdiplom II exam in year 12
- Fulfilment of the requirements of the Kultusministerkonferenz
- Straightforward integration of students returning to a German Gymnasium or a German Realschule
- Opportunity for ambitious students with German as their mother tongue or as a foreign language to meet higher academic demands
- Deepening of general knowledge and abstract thinking
- For students with German as a foreign language: intensive study of German at a very high level, good preparation for the Bilingual Programme and the Bilingual Leaving Certificate
- Certificate of special academic qualification for all students (unique in Ireland)
Correlation with the Irish Secondary School curriculum
- Fulfilment of all the requirements of the Irish Secondary School curriculum
- Irish Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate qualifications
- Re-integration into the Irish curriculum if students find the demands excessive
- Modified TY programme